We are currently entering a phase of rapid expansion with the objective of rapidly bringing competitive product(s) to market. As part of this expansion we are looking for a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our Battery team at Vertical Aerospace.
The ideal candidate will bring strong ‘hands-on’ engineering skills backed by a solid theoretical understanding and resolute attention to detail to the role. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in energy storage, vehicle electrification and a highly regulated industry would be beneficial.
You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges and responsibilities across multiple streams of work in a fast-moving environment, with the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of developing the Energy Storage solution.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsible for all mechanical aspects of the battery system from concept through to production.
- Generate, review, approve and manage system requirements
- Conduct multi-disciplinary design reviews throughout the different phases of aircraft development
- Generate, review, and approve:
- System safety analyses, such as FHAs, FTAs, CCAs, etc.
- Engineering drawings, schematics, and design specifications
- System and equipment test plans and reports
- Compliance documentation
- System engineering processes
- Manage external suppliers/partners to deliver on time, cost and quality
- Support the integration of the battery system within the aircraft design
- Previous battery system experience is essential, such as the mechanical layout design from concept to manufacture.
- Knowledge of many manufacturing methods/controls such as injection moulding, machining, rapid prototyping, drawing control
- Solid mechanical design background, specifically including the management of mechanical tolerances
- Good practical skills with hands-on experience of building, commissioning and testing electrical/electronic systems.
- Understanding of the key components of a battery EV electrical drive system and their interactions with each other and the wider vehicle systems.
- Experience with CATIA V6 (3Dx) is highly advantageous
- Experience of the entire product development life cycle is desirable.
- Working with composites / composites enclosure design is desirable
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to focus on and complete detailed tasks in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with a wide range of disciplines within engineering.
- Safe working with hazardous voltages, particularly DC systems.