Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. We’re building a team where individuals are expected to deliver performance, ideas and concepts which make a difference. We will expect you to think creatively and push the boundaries of what is considered normal. We are cloud-native and invest in staff who want to keep at the leading edge.
We’re looking for an outstanding DevOps engineer who combines superb technical knowledge and experience specifically in the Cloud and ITIL space with a passion to deliver exciting technology that will enable engineers to design and deliver cutting edge electric aircraft. We are also looking for an individual with demonstrable ability to get the right things done quickly and effectively. This role is to design and deliver technology for our users (internal users e.g. engineers, manufacturing staff, production staff, finance, HR etc), with a priority on Engineering’s IT requirements. The role is full-time and will require the successful candidate to be a self-starter and motivated to help us deliver something special, disruptive and exciting.
As a member of the Technology Services and Operations team, you will play a key role in the designing and delivery of high quality technology and infrastructure, whilst delivering exceptional user satisfaction and a personalised service.
This position requires understanding the requirements, challenging them and creating a solution that would deliver the requirements in the most safe, secure and effective manner. Strong inter-personal skills are required to guide users through their requirements and discussing how they could be met. This may often be under challenging conditions. The role:
- Apply Agile working and DevOps principles to deliver the underlying technology the users and the engineering teams need.
- Understand the SaaS stack and approach that are key principles underlying Vertical Aerospace’s IT set up.
- Understand how Engineering works and be a trusted partner for the Engineering function.
- Understand Defence in Depth approach in use at Vertical Aerospace and design solutions that are secure and meet requirements within a Time, cost, quality envelope.
- Work with users to understand their requirements, challenge constructively when appropriate.
- Design solutions that meet the agreed requirements; iterate as necessary. Ensure that the designs can transition smoothly into operations.
- Deliver the solutions respecting the Time, Cost and Quality parameters.
- Regular working knowledge of the Microsoft 365 stack (Intune, Azure Active Directory, Exchange, SharePoint, Defender ATP etc).
- Experience performing a 2nd/3rd line Helpdesk function and providing support to end-users in an ITIL-style environment.
- Familiarity with designing network topologies within the context of a cloud provider (AWS, Azure or GCP).
- Ability to consult, propose, and implement network and operating system security best practices in a secure development environment (in coordination with Head of IT Security).
- Strong understanding of Cloud infrastructure(s) in particular the Azure cloud.
- Exposure to CI/CD for automated testing and deployments.
- Proficiency in configuration management tools such as Chef, Ansible or Puppet and infrastructure-as-code tools such as Terraform.
- Practical knowledge of containerisation and virtualisation technologies (Docker, Hyper-V)
- A strong track record in both Windows and Linux Server & Client administration and troubleshooting.
- Ability to read and write Bash, Python or PowerShell scripts to automate system deployment, troubleshooting, and maintenance.
- Having worked in an aerospace environment, or other similar industry where secure operations and segmented networks are a normal practice.
- Data architectures.
- IOT and integration with enterprise systems.
- Atlassian suite (JIRA, Confluence & Bitbucket).
- Database technologies such as MSSQL, MySQL or PostgreSQL.
- Ability to work with Agile working practices.
- Good communication skills and a proactive approach to problem solving.
- Experience in working with people and bringing them on side.
- Ability to roll sleeves up and “getting stuck in”.
- Energy, Drive, Initiative and Commercial Awareness.
- Curious to learn more about all the technologies and willing to learn and develop.
- Interpersonal sensitivity (empathy/diplomacy Judgement).
- Commitment, organisation and ability to multi-task.
- Decision-making skills.
- Excellent time management skills.