Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for a Senior Flight Controls Engineer to focus on the development, integration and certification of flight control laws for our vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft.
You will work with our suppliers and in-house engineers to ensure an optimised integrated system, bringing best practice and innovation to play in this fast-paced design and build environment.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Lead the design, development and validation of bespoke flight control laws for novel aircraft configurations.
- Showing compliance of designs to relevant aerospace standards.
- Engage effectively across related disciplines to ensure quality and robust design solutions that are understood by people with varied technical backgrounds.
- Guide and mentor junior team members.
- Manage relationships and work closely with partners and suppliers of hardware, software and technical services.
- Support the Test team as required to explore and validate technical solutions.
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical, Mechanical, Systems Engineering or equivalent.
- Expert knowledge of aircraft control, stability and handling qualities.
- Many years of demonstrable experience working on flight control aspects of aircraft programmes.
- Experience tuning and optimising control systems.
- Ability to apply your experience to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics.
- Good supporting knowledge of aerodynamics, flight characteristics and sensor technology.
- Knowledge of how to interpret aircraft certification requirements and show compliance to them.
- Understanding of the role of simulation in fast-paced engineering programmes.
- Familiarity with the requirements of ground and flight testing.
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a fast-paced environment where flexibility is essential.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences.
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors.
- Direct involvement in flight test programmes.
- Previously held roles of responsibility for aircraft certification e.g. CVE within an aerospace DOA.
- A good supporting knowledge of software development and software integration.
- Significant experience with Matlab/Simulink.
- Commitment to professional development.