Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to be the air mobility market leader at the forefront of eVTOL development and service innovations. We’re looking for a Senior Aircraft Safety Engineer to bring their in-depth knowledge and experience to the team. The ideal candidate will have a team work ethic and leadership skills, who is able to work within an evolving regulatory environment, and who can identify innovative solutions to problems. You will organize and lead the aircraft safety activities to support aircraft development through certification and into service, developing the necessary tools and processes along the way, and interfacing with other departments, subcontractors and the certification authorities as required.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Generating and reviewing safety assessments and analyses at the aircraft, system, and equipment levels including but not limited to:
- Functional Hazard Assessment (FHA)
- Preliminary Aircraft and System Safety Assessment (PASA/PSSA)
- System Safety Assessment (SSA)
- Fault Tree Analysis (FTA)
- Particular Risk Analysis (PRA)
- Common Mode Analysis (CMA)
- Zonal Safety Assessments (ZSA)
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
- Claim/Argument/Evidence assessments in support of test permits
- Bowtie risk assessment models
- Coordinating safety activities and proposals with certification authorities.
- Verification and approval of the demonstration of safety compliance
- Generating and managing safety-derived requirements through the development life cycle.
- Generating and reviewing Master Minimum Equipment List to ensure safety compliance into service.
- Coordinating and managing safety work packages with subcontract organisations.
- Bachelors or higher degree in an Engineering discipline – Electrical, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred.
- 8+ years of relevant industry experience.
- 5+ years’ experience of supporting certification.
- Experience of whole-aircraft safety certification.
- Expert knowledge of Advisory Circular 23.1309-1E, SAE ARP 4761, and SAE ARP 4754A.
- Expert knowledge of regulatory certification specifications i.e. CS/FAR-23, 25, 27 or 29.
- Proficiency in a Fault Tree Analysis and Safety Analysis toolset.
- Experience of using bowtie methodology.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office toolsets.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences.
- Fluent in spoken and written English language.
- Previous holder of a delegated CVE signature within an EASA DOA or holder of a FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) signature for Safety.
- A good understanding of aviation software development.
- Working knowledge of RTCA/DO-178C and RTCA/DO-254.
- Experience and involvement with industry groups to develop consensus standards.
- Familiar with Dassault Systemes engineering and management tools (3DX suite).
- Commitment to professional development