Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing Test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in an experienced, passionate, and driven Rig Test Development Engineer. The role will be crucial in Vertical’s programme delivery, developing various rigs to provide crucial data to support the aircraft design, technology development and certification workstreams. The work will involve gathering rig requirements, down selecting solutions, driving the build and commissioning of the rig, to ultimately running the asset to meet the objectives to the required standard and on-time/budget.
The Rig Test Development Engineer reports to the Head of Test, and will be allocated into workstreams in our matrix organisation.
The successful candidate will be able to work in dynamic innovative teams, building positive working environments and diplomatically resolving challenges to programme delivery. Some elements of “hands on” work will be expected, with the assistance of our skilled technicians.
- Being an integral part of a collaborative planning, delivery and reporting for company rig test activities. Likely rigs include, structural, propulsion, sub-assembly, “iron bird”, and whole-aircraft setups
- Determination of safety provisions required for rig operations, whilst being a role model of the company’s safety-first culture
- Leading test operations in deployed locations, away from normal operating base and when required to travel and work extended hours
- As required assist with other, non-rig, test planning and activities, this could also involve flight test support
Experience & Qualifications
- Previous experience on rapid development programmes, maturing new technologies
- A great understanding of aerospace testing methods, instrumentation/calibration requirements, health and safety considerations, data acquisition and certification based activities
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with numerous internal and external stakeholders, with a passion for deliver
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Be fluent in spoken and written English language
- Experienced with standard laboratory and workshop tools
- Competent with Microsoft Applications and IT proficient
- Technical report writing, including test plans
- Qualification and experiment requirements (must have):
- Engineering or Science degree (BEng or higher)
- At least 5 years experience in a high tech test engineering environment
Experience of the following is desired
- Previous experience with electric aircraft and/or VTOLs
- Developing test assets to support aircraft certification
- Electro-mechanical systems integration experience
- CAD familiarity (CATIA/Solidworks) for interrogating digital models