We are currently entering a phase of expansion with the objective of rapidly bringing competitive product(s) to market. As part of this expansion we are looking for an experienced Fluid and Mechanical Systems Principle Engineer to join the Powertrain Systems team at Vertical Aerospace.
The role will cover several aircraft systems; including landing gear, actuation and cooling systems. A fundamental knowledge of aircraft fluid and mechanical systems and integration is required, including knowledge of compliance with the associated System Particular Risks and EASA requirements.
The ideal candidate will have strong ‘hands-on’ engineering skills and team work ethic, able to take on a wide range of challenges and responsibilities across multiple streams of work. Be adaptable in a fast-moving environment, with the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of developing the Vertical Aerospace product range, and who can identify innovative solutions to properly implement the various company strategies.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Responsibility for all Fluid and Mechanical systems across the product range.
- Definition of architecture, system and component for the Fluid and Mechanical Systems.
- Defining the Means of Compliance standards as required by the authorities.
- Managing suppliers and manufacturers
- Lead related R&D projects and support test activity.
- Developing team capability in line with bets practice and company procedures
- Representing the technical team in discussions with regulatory authorities.
- Influencing the company technical methods & procedures
- Creating and documenting design definition and practices for system in 3DX including but not limited to:
- Data supporting the Product Life Management
- Develop ‘Best Practice’ for Processes and Work Methodologies
- Aircraft digital mock-up (DMU), Models, system schematics, technical documentation, Product Structure, engineering drawings and BOM
- Aircraft configuration control and change management
- Support and integrate with other engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet program timescales.
Qualifications & Experience
- Bachelors or higher degree/HND in an Engineering discipline – Electrical, Structures, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred.
- Significant relevant industry experience.
- Proficiency in Dassault 3DX platform, Catia V5/6, Solidworks.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office toolsets.
- Experience of whole-aircraft development program, ‘cradle to grave’.
- Experience of working in a PLM system environment.
- Experience including but not limited to Environmental Control, Fire Protection, Flying Controls, Fuel, Hydraulic, Ice and Rain Protection, Landing Gear, control surface actuation, Navigation (Pitot Static), Oxygen and Pneumatic,
- Knowledge of Aircraft Systems, Systems Schematics and Structure, Design, Build and Manufacturing process.
- Detail knowledge of System Standard parts, Components and materials.
- Experience in managing a small engineering team or function
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences.
- Fluent in spoken and written English language.