Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly and believes passionately in the power of electric flight to change the way the world travels. We are currently entering a phase of rapid expansion with the objective of rapidly bringing competitive product(s) to market. As part of this expansion we are looking for a Battery Assembly Engineer to help develop robust, high-performance battery systems for aircraft. The ideal candidate will bring strong ‘hands-on’ engineering skills backed by a solid theoretical understanding and resolute attention to detail to the role. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in energy storage, vehicle electrification or a highly regulated industry would be beneficial. You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges and responsibilities across multiple streams of work in a fast-moving environment, with the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of developing electrical drive systems.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Manage the battery configuration and BOM
- Define the battery assembly process for novel aspects of our battery design
- Define the battery system installation into the aircraft
- Manage the battery assembly at our supplier, including pack inspection and build test oversight
- Provide Design For Manufacture (DFM) input into the battery design activity
- Provide integration with VA-Cert battery supplier
- Develop cell assembly techniques
- Experience with battery assembly tools and techniques
- Experience in define battery manufacturing processess and procedures
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject
- Detailed understanding of the key components of a battery EV electrical drive system and their interactions with each other and wider vehicle systems.
- Good practical skills with hands-on experience of building, commissioning and testing electrical/electronic systems.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to focus on and complete detailed tasks in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with a wide range of disciplines within engineering.
- Understanding of the product development cycle.
- Safe working with hazardous voltages, particularly DC systems above 120 V.