Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing Test Team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in a passionate and driven UAV Test Engineer to help design, build, and support UAV operations. This is a great opportunity to participate in the rapidly developing, nascent eVTOL industry.
Integrating into on-going projects, the working environment will be rewarding, dynamic and always challenging. The pace will be different from ‘traditional’ aerospace.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Working on a rapid development programme within Vertical Aerospace, supporting sub- and full-scale and vehicle development and testing
- Tasks will be varied including: component specification, documentation writing, hardware build and commissioning, through to planning and supporting flight test activities
- Performing risk assessments and providing recommendations/solutions following our Safety First culture
- Assisting with other tasks within the Test Team (and occasionally other Teams) as required (planning, test definitions, vehicle operations, operating rig tests, etc.)
- HV systems working might be required – training will be provided
- Working closely with Vertical Advanced Engineering with occasional travel to their Oxfordshire facilities
- Mechanical and electrical hands-on drone/model building experience
- Radio Frequency systems understanding (control, telemetry, FPV, etc.)
- Basic understanding of aerodynamics and drone control theory
- Ground Control Station setup and operations
- Multicopter/RPAS (Remotely Piloted Aerial System) flight experience
- Degree level (or higher) in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- 1+ year demonstrable industry experience working with novel UAVs
- Understanding of aircraft systems, flight physics and a desire to learn and advance
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc. as well as data analysis experience using MATLAB, Python, or similar
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team and when required to travel and work extended hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Be fluent in spoken and written English language
- CAD experience (Solidworks or CATIA)
- Experience with using basic workshop mechanical and electrical tools
- PfCO / GVC Qualification
- Hands-on experience with Ardupilot, Mission Planner, and relevant hardware
- Rapid prototyping / 3D printing experience
- Be able to demonstrate commitment to professional development