Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for a Standard Parts Component Engineer and to bring their in-depth knowledge and experience to the Engineering and wider VAGL organisation. The ideal candidate will have a strong ‘hands-on’ engineering skills and team work ethic, who is able to take on a wide range of challenges and responsibilities across multiple streams of work. You will need to be adaptable in a fast-moving environment, with the opportunity to be involved in creating, developing and controlling the 3DEx Platform Standard Part and Material Libraries.
You will be responsible to the Head of Data Management for developing the parts selection list and processes along the way, and interfacing with other departments, subcontractors and suppliers as required.
You will be working as a technical expert for mechanical and electrical part related issues. Responsible for Components Engineering efforts in standardisation, engineering data definition, preparation of part standards and procurement control requirements, quality problem resolution and process improvements.
Provide liaison between part vendors and procurement, VAGL customers and subcontractors. Activities include new part selection, part substitution, second source part qualification, preparation of part procurement specifications and resolving development and production parts problems and issues. Responsible for monitoring standard part industry trends, design, failure modes, manufacturing capabilities and limitations and industry and government standards.
You will controlling the libraries and building the parts selection lists to configure the design data on 3DEx platform.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Creation and implementation of 3DEx Part and Material libraries.
- New part selection, part substitution, and support for part qualification.
- Creating and documenting specifications for Standards, Parts and Materials in 3DX Libraries
- Ensuring parts evidence of conformity traceable to the applicable standard
- Developing and implementing the engineering process and method to support the company product development, certification, and entry into service.
- Provide support, guidance and training to the engineering teams and deliver solutions to meet program timescales.
Experience in standard part selection of : – Mechanical Attaching and Locking parts, latches and bearings, Fluid systems components, Electrical System components and connectors and installation attachments used in aerospace applications. Candidate will be required to demonstrate familiarity with fundamental component qualification and manufacturing processes and with industry specifications for component parts.
- Bachelors or higher degree/HND in an Engineering discipline – Electrical, Structures, Mechanical, or Aerospace preferred.
- Significant relevant industry experience.
- Ideally proficiency in Dassault 3DX platform, Catia V5/6.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office toolsets.
- Experience with component/ part selection(s).
- Experience with mechanical design or electrical design including component selection.
- Experience of whole-aircraft development program an advantage.
- Knowledge of DMU Design Support and configuration
- Ability to communicate ideas so that they are understood by different audiences.
- Fluent in spoken and written English language.