Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in a passionate and driven Senior Structural Test Engineer to define and deliver structural test activities for our development and certification aircraft.
The successful candidate will be the key focal point in the company for all things related to structural testing to support our technology development and certification activities. The ideal candidate will have strong theoretical and practical experience, with an aptitude of pragmatic problem solving. The working environment will be rewarding, dynamic and always challenging.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Working closing with the Structures function and numerous Product Teams to identify the structural test needed and develop pragmatic plans to provide the results on-time
- Co-ordinate the creation of suitable rigs/fixtures to enable the test, on both component and aircraft level tests
- Perform “make versus buy” analysis for structural test, determining which to perform in-house, which to partner and which to out-source
- Selecting and working with external companies/suppliers to deliver rig hardware, actuators, instrumentation and ultimately engineering data to the internal customers and certifying bodies
- Responsibility for the budget, reporting and programme delivery for structural testing work packages
- Assist with other tasks within the Test Team as required (planning, test definitions, vehicle operations, operating tests)
- Mentoring and sharing knowledge with others in the company
- Be educated to degree level or higher in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Have confidence performing “hand calcs” for structural test sizing and concepting exercises
- Experience testing composite and metallic components in both static and fatigue loads, at a component and system level.
- Have a minimum of 6 years demonstrable experience as a Structural Test Engineer within a high-tech industry
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using to review test results
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team and when required, to travel and work extended hours
- “Hands on” testing experience, working closely with technicians and other engineers
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines and backgrounds
- Be fluent in spoken and written English language, which strong technical report writing experience
- Previous responsibility leading complex structural test programs
- Have experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Have a good level of understanding of the loads experienced during flight
- Experience working with external regulators/airworthiness bodies such as the CAA, EASA, FAA. Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE) experience favorable
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development
- CATIA/3dx experience beneficial