Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are currently entering a phase of rapid expansion with the objective of rapidly bringing competitive product(s) to market. As part of this expansion, we are looking for an experienced Electrical Propulsion Engineer to join the Electrical Propulsion System team at Vertical Aerospace.
The ideal candidate will bring strong ‘hands-on’ engineering skills backed by a solid theoretical understanding and resolute attention to detail to the role. You will be able to demonstrate an in-depth technical understanding of the development of electrical drive systems, strong capability in supplier management and systems engineering as well as proven team leadership. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in vehicle electrification is a must.
You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges across multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and to work at all levels of an organisation.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- The day to day coordination of Electrical Propulsion System activities across the various test and vehicle assets
- Managing the Electrical Propulsion System interfaces, including: flight control systems, flight control law, vehicle performance, Data and Comms and the physical installation.
- Management of system requirements throughout the V cycle.
- Supplier management, including; technical coordination of equipment development, equipment quality inspection Inspections, quality
- System testing, physical integration, data analysis and trouble shooting
- Conduct multi-disciplinary design reviews throughout the different phases of aircraft development, lead major milestone presentations (PDR/CDR)
- Generate, review, and approve:
- System safety analyses, such as FHAs, FTAs, CCAs, etc.
- Engineering drawings, schematics, and design specifications
- System and equipment test plans and reports
- Compliance documentation
- System engineering processes
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or equivalent.
- Thorough understanding of system engineering principles is required
- Detailed knowledge of electrical propulsion system design is essential
- Proven track record of complex system development and delivery
- Knowledge of Aerospace certification standards are desire
- Understanding of the product development cycle from concept to production and in-service is desired
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to focus on and complete detailed tasks in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with a wide range of disciplines within engineering.
- Safe working with hazardous voltages, particularly DC systems.