Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are looking for a Certification Engineer to bring their in-depth knowledge and experience to the team. The ideal candidate will have strong leadership and communication skills, who has significant experience with regulatory requirements, aircraft or system certification, and working with Airworthiness Authorities.
Reporting functionally to the Head of Certification, you will be embedded in the Energy Storage division’s engineering management team to help secure certification for the energy storage system. Working with the vertical energy storage experts, Airworthiness Authorities, and Industrial Partners you will assist in developing the necessary Initial and Continued Airworthiness Requirements, Means of Compliance and Certification Plans as well as being the primary contact point for the Airworthiness Authorities for this system.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Developing the Initial Airworthiness requirements in conjunction with the Airworthiness Authorities and establishing the associated compliance strategies including means and methods of compliance.
- Developing the requirements that will support the effective continued airworthiness of the product.
- Working with the electrical energy storage and distribution teams to:
- Ensure cascade of the Initial and Continued Airworthiness requirements
- Assist in the interpretation and efficient compliance demonstration of these requirements.
- Perform design reviews and assist in developing solutions to ensure the design meets Airworthiness Authority and performance expectations
- Developing, reviewing, and approving certification-related documents, including:
-Certification Plans, compliance plans and Summaries
-Certification Review Items, and evidence supporting Equivalent Levels of Safety
-Test Plans (including coordination with Authorities)
-Design and Analysis Reports
- Planning out test campaigns, overseeing test article fabrication, and witnessing tests in order to demonstrate that applicable designs show compliance with airworthiness standards.
- Interfacing with the UK CAA and Validation authorities as necessary.
- Significant demonstrable experience of leading certification activities.
- Strong leadership, planning and negotiation skills, experience with large design teams and organisations.
- Significant Experience of working with regulatory authorities
- In-depth knowledge of processes and certification specifications relevant to the Design, Certification and Continuing Airworthiness of aircraft.
- Held a position of responsibility for certification activities in an approved aircraft design organisation.
- Held either CVE or DAE signature rights.
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a dynamic environment where flexibility is essential.
- Ability to apply your knowledge to vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics.
- Strong communication skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English language.
- Experience of managing changes to the Type Design and configuration control.
- Experience of rechargeable lithium ion batteries and associated standards i.e. RTCA DO-311A or ISO 26262.
- Experience of RTCA DO-160.
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, such as rotorcraft multirotors and fixed wing.
- Experience of TC Validation activities.
- Experience taking part in international working groups and committees