Founded by greentech entrepreneur Stephen Fitzpatrick, Vertical Aerospace believes passionately in the power of electric aircraft to change the way the world travels.
Vertical is combining the very best talent, technologies and approaches from aerospace, Formula 1 and automotive to develop cutting-edge aircraft.
A global pioneer in sustainable aviation technologies, Vertical has already flown two full-scale all-electric vertical take-off and landing (eVTOL) prototypes with UK Civil Aviation Authority approval.
Most recently Vertical unveiled its piloted winged eVTOL, VA-X4. Capable of travelling 120 miles at speeds of over 200 mph, carrying four passengers and one pilot, VA-X4 is set to be one of the world’s first certified passenger carrying eVTOLs. It will be certified through the CAA and EASA by the end of 2024, initial commercial operations will start shortly afterwards.
We are looking for a Senior Aircraft Technician to join our aircraft build team here at Vertical. The role will be to lead a team of technicians in our aircraft build as well as manage all aspects of our workshop including relevant H&SE to ensure all work is airworthy and to industry standards. The team will also be assisting in the build and deployment of test rigs as well as supporting the flight test programme.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- The coordination of all technician’s work load, in conjunction with build plans.
- Inspection of work to ensure airworthiness to industry standards.
- Ensuring all appropriate paper work or recording is completed and maintained (job cards, tech logs, tech library, ERP system entries… etc).
- Proactive and dedicated approach to maintaining FOD control areas and standards.
- Activity coordination with other workshop users (drone flights, rig builds, aircraft testing… etc)
- Input into build standard documentation.
- Input into aircraft design and development reviews.
- Applying previous experience, skills & knowledge to maintain exemplary Health, Safety and Environmental considerations and suggest improvements to procedures wherever possible.
- Ensuring all necessary activities are correctly risk assessed.
- Being involved in the development of procedures relating to workshop management, tool control and calibrated tool management.
- Providing some supervision and mentoring to trainee technicians in line with relevant experience and qualifications.
- Assisting in the successful completion of our flight test programme including possible temporary overseas deployments.
- You may be required to work a shift system during high work load periods within the business.
The ideal candidate:
- Will be a highly experienced Aircraft Technician with high quality mechanical and avionic fitting skills and sound personal standard practices.
- Experience in leading teams, maintaining compliance of whole teams standard of work.
- Should have good attention to detail and can operate to challenging deadlines without compromising standards or quality.
- Will have an excellent working knowledge of aircraft documentation, maintenance manuals and engineering drawings.
- Should demonstrate a flexible and proactive attitude to carrying out responsibilities and always willing to lend a hand where needed throughout the business and across different teams.
- Given the challenging nature of this opportunity, it will be important that they are able to work well in a growing team and demonstrate initiative to resolve unique technical problems whilst operating in a fast paced and ever changing environment.
- BTEC National Certificate Aerospace Engineering, HNC or higher.
- Recognized aircraft engineering apprenticeship in commercial/military or similar qualification in aircraft systems.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in aircraft maintenance or overhaul.
- Full UK driving licence.