Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are currently entering a phase of rapid expansion with the objective of quickly bringing competitive products to market. As part of this expansion we are looking for an Senior/Principle Systems Stress Engineer (Senior/Principle grade dependant on experience/capability) to join our Fluid and Mechanical Systems team at Vertical Aerospace.
The ideal candidate will bring strong a solid theoretical understanding of the challenges within mechanical systems and an ability to pragmatically guide development. Previous aerospace experience is ideal but not essential, and a background in landing gear, actuation, hydraulic or pneumatic systems stress is particularly relevant.
You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges and responsibilities across multiple streams of work in a fast-moving environment, with the opportunity to be involved in all aspects of stressing mechanical systems across the aircraft and test asset portfolio.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Definition of processes and methods for systems stress analysis
- Prescribing standard practices for the analysis of fluid (hydraulic, pneumatic and cooling/environmental) and mechanical systems.
- Setting the guidance for where FE, book cases and excel/hand-calculations are to be used.
- Compiling and approval of systems stress reports.
- Collation of verification and certification evidence
- Definition and approval of test requests, supporting the building of a suitable test pyramid at aircraft level
- Defining policies to streamline design and development (e.g. standard parts, or pre-approved bracket policies)
- Mentoring of junior staff, setting development programmes
- Proposing staff for delegation of signatory rights to the signatory review committee
- Ensuring alignment of processes, methods and tools between the systems and structures stress communities.
- Previous aircraft experience is ideal, particularly the stress analysis of landing gear, mechanical actuation or fluid systems. Similar systems experience in an alternative highly regulated industry is acceptable.
- Experience of the entire product development life cycle is desirable.
- Strong understanding of systems engineering principles, and application of the engineering V&V process.
- Demonstrated technical delegation within an applicable field
- A pragmatic approach to analysis, understanding when FE or hand-calculations are most appropriate.
- Experience with Hyperworks is advantageous, alternatively experience with other FEA packages.
- Strong organisational skills and an ability to focus on and complete detailed tasks in a busy, fast-paced environment.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to interface with a wide range of disciplines within engineering.