We are looking for an exceptional individual to join Vertical Aerospace as an Advanced Loads Engineer. Vertical is one the world’s leading eVTOL businesses, and a pioneer of this ground-breaking new segment, which marks the beginning of sustainable aviation. The role will be located in Bristol.
Founded in 2016, Vertical uniquely combines the best of the aerospace, Formula 1 and automotive industries and has become one of only seven companies globally to have successfully flown multiple full-scale eVTOL prototypes. The VX4, is a world-leading fully composite tilt-rotor winged eVTOL that will carry one pilot and four passengers or cargo. VX4 is in plan to be certified in late 2024, placing the business in the top two companies globally with a commercially viable aircraft capable of spanning intra and intercity passenger and cargo eVTOL markets.Vertical recently completed a $2.2Bn SPAC with Broadstone Acquisition Corp and listed on the NYSE in December 2021. Further funding to see their aircraft the VX4 through certification and into production was secured from Mudrick Capital and Kouros SA in October 2021.
Vertical has already assembled an enviable list of conditional pre-orders from globally renowned customers such as American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and Avolon adding up to 1,350 aircraft and an order value of $5.4Bn. Additionally Vertical has secured partnerships with Rolls Royce, Honeywell, Bristow and GKN, among others.
We are looking for a Senior Aerodynamics Engineer who will:
Enjoy working with a world class team comprised of leading aerospace and technology thinkers as well as some of the finest engineering talent. Of course, you will possess or be able to rapidly adopt a passion for sustainable aviation and it’s benefits for both society and sustainability.
Vertical is a values-led business that embraces diversity in all its forms in particular diversity of thought. Vertical is committed to building an industry leading team offering global perspectives that represent the communities it serves.
You will relish the challenge of developing new standards and methods in the field through a fusion of applying their expertise in established aerospace processes and the new and innovative approaches that this novel space demands.
The responsibilities and duties of the Senior Aerodynamics Engineer will be as follows:
- Providing technical leadership for design of aerodynamic surfaces, rotating propellers and propulsion integration.
- Steering the development of robust methods and tools for aerodynamic design and analysis
- Generation and interpretation of aerodynamic loads and performance data
- Leading validation and verification strategy for aerodynamics
- Demonstrating compliance of novel designs to emerging aerospace specifications
- Implementing emerging technology in robust design and analysis processes
- Leading multi-disciplinary activities to develop aircraft level integration of concepts and design solutions
- Guiding and mentoring junior members of the team
The successful Senior Aerodynamics Engineer will have the following Experience & Qualifications:
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Significant demonstrable experience of aerodynamics in a relevant industrial environment
- A sound knowledge of air vehicle aerodynamics
- Ability to apply your knowledge to vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics
- Experienced user of CAD and CFD tools
- Hands-on experience with aerodynamic testing
- Understanding of typical flight characteristics of fixed and rotary wing air vehicles
- Awareness of processes and requirements relevant to the certification of aircraft
- Understanding of the role of simulation in fast-paced engineering programmes
- Leadership of small teams of engineers to successfully deliver challenging projects
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a dynamic environment where flexibility is essential
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English language
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Held a position of responsibility for certification activities in an approved aircraft design organisation
- Proficient user of Catia and ANSYS CFD
- Previous involvement in wind tunnel and/or flight test programmes
- Some knowledge and experience of aeroacoustics, aeroelastics, flight loads and/or aerostructures
- Experience using Matlab or equivalent to derive clear conclusions from large and complex datasets
- Commitment to professional development