Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are looking for an experienced Certification Engineer to lead the type certification validation coordination with airworthiness authorities around the world to enable timely entry into service for our global customer base. Reporting to the Head of Certification, you will be working closely with the Aircraft Certification Lead, the Commercial team, Chief Engineering, our Aircraft Leasing customers, and Regulatory Authorities around the globe.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Building relationships with the Local Airworthiness Authorities of our global customer base.
- Ensuring the processes of these authorities for TC Validation are well understood and communicated to programme and other key stake holders.
- Ensuring that any specific regulatory requirements from these authorities (both operational and design) are understood and communicated.
- Where appropriate, working with these authorities to agree equivalent safety findings and to minimise any design impacts.
- Where necessary, working with the Chief Engineers, Programme, wider certification team and the Validating Authority to ensure specific design changes to secure Validation satisfy that Authority’s needs.
- Working with the Vertical Aerospace Commercial team to agree prioritisation and timescales.
- Identification, coordination, and delivery of documentation to support TC Validation.
- Regional and global travel as and when necessary.
- Significant demonstrable experience of leading certification activities or equivalent experience as an Authority Project Certification Manager (or authority equivalent role)
- Demonstrable experience of leading a certification activity with the US FAA or equivalent liaison with US FAA experience working for an Airworthiness Authority.
- Strong communication, planning and collaboration skills, experience with large design teams and organisations.
- In-depth knowledge of processes and certification specifications relevant to the Design, Certification and Continuing Airworthiness of aircraft.
- Held either CVE or DAE signature rights, or equivalent signature rights in an Airworthiness Authority.
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a dynamic environment where flexibility is essential.
- Ability to apply your knowledge to vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics.
- Excellent coordination, planning, influencing and communication skills.
- Fluent in spoken and written English language.
- Hold a passport with no restrictions, other than usual visa requirements, on international travel – particularly to the USA.
- Held check, release or design-approve signature rights in an Approved Design Organisaton.
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, such as rotorcraft multirotors and fixed wing.
- Experience of TC Validation activities.
- Experience contributing to international working groups and committees.
- Fluent in a language other than English.