Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in a passionate and driven Flight Test Instrumentation Engineer to deliver the FTI solutions on our development and certification aircraft.
The successful candidate will be the key focal point in the company for defining and recording crucial data to support our technology development and certification activities. The ideal candidate will have strong theoretical and practical experience, with an aptitude of pragmatic problem solving. The working environment will be rewarding, dynamic and always challenging.
Duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Define the instrumentation requirements on various rigs and novel airframes, working closely with all engineering departments and projects
- Selecting and working with external companies to deliver a complete FTI solution including sensor specification, identifying calibration needs, arranging installation and maintaining the systems during the test programmes
- Working closely with the Electrical Installation team to determine the optimal installation, wiring route, connector types etc.
- Responsibility for the budget and programme delivery for instrumentation work packages
- Ensure instrumentation calibration methods and records are developed and maintained
- Assist with other tasks within the Test Team as required (planning, test definitions, vehicle operations, operating tests)
- Mentoring and sharing knowledge with others in the company
- Be educated to degree level or higher in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent.
- Have confidence selecting various types of instrumentation for rig and flight test (strain gauges, accelerometers, thermocouples, etc) knowing their limitations and associated best practises
- Have experience decoding and working with digital data streams such as CANbus, ARINC, Serial, Ethernet etc
- Have a minimum of 5 years demonstrable experience as an Instrumentation Engineer within a high-tech industry
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using MATLAB, Python, or similar
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team and when required, to travel and work extended hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Be fluent in spoken and written English language
- Flight Test experience, ideally within a fast paced and novel programme
- Extensive experience with GS Works or IADS flight test software
- Previous experience with Curtiss Wright (ACRA) FTI hardware, including product selection, configuration and operation
- Have experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Hands on experience physically installing FTI (although not part of this role)
- Skills in data processing complex and large datasets, automating where possible, whilst ensuring the data is manageable to others in the business
- Experience working with external regulators/airworthiness bodies such as the CAA, EASA, FAA. Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE) experience favorable
- Be able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development