We are looking for an exceptional individual to join Vertical Aerospace as Chief Systems Engineer. Vertical is one the world’s leading eVTOL businesses, and a pioneer of this ground-breaking new segment, which marks the beginning of sustainable aviation. The role will be located in Bristol.
Vertical recently completed a $2.2Bn SPAC with Broadstone Acquisition Corp and will imminently list on the NYSE. Further funding to see their aircraft the VA-X4 through certification and into production was secured from Mudrick Capital and Kouros SA in October 2021.
Vertical has already assembled an enviable list of conditional pre-orders from globally renowned customers such as American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic and Avolon adding up to 1,350 aircraft and an order value of $5.4Bn. Additionally Vertical has secured partnerships with Rolls Royce, Honeywell, Bristow and GKN, among others.
We are looking for someone that will enjoy working with a world class team comprised of leading aerospace and technology thinkers as well as some of the finest engineering talent. Of course, you will possess or be able to rapidly adopt a passion for sustainable aviation and it’s benefits for both society and sustainability.
Vertical is a values-led business that embraces diversity in all its forms in particular diversity of thought. Vertical is committed to building an industry leading team offering global perspectives that represent the communities it serves.
The Chief Systems Engineer will be responsible for Aircraft level systems engineering and flow down of requirements and trades into the various delivery teams and the integrated verification through to flight test and certification. In doing this you will deploy a multitude of systems engineering tools and methods, acting as the prime interface between the functional organisation and the project team.
In this role you will:
- Being accountable for the overall systems engineering technical, cost and schedule performance and ensuring this meets or exceeds the aircraft development programme goals
- Making insightful decisions which positively impact on the success of assigned tasks/projects i.e. outcomes, deadlines and budget
- Performing a challenging range and variety of complex technical or project related work activities
- Undertaking work which requires the application of fundamental principles of Systems engineering, Systems integration and Systems thinking in a wide and often unpredictable range of contexts
- Leading the development and execution of the Vehicle integrated schedule, requirements, V&V, test and commissioning to meet the objectives of the aircraft development programme
- Leading the creation of case studies to define configurations and resolve technical problems
- Ensuring technical, programme risks and dependencies are identified, managed, appropriately elevated and resolved
Experience & Qualifications:
We seek a unique individual, that will bring vast knowledge and expertise to the team. A career background on a multitude of individual systems as well as systems integration would be particularly advantageous, together with an interest in green technology and/or aviation. You will need:
- 15+ years’ of relevant industry experience
- 5+ years’ experience as a team lead or in a leadership position
- Strong Systems engineering knowledge, with competency and experience in the application of Systems engineering and associated tools
- Significant technical and leadership experience with demonstrated expertise in systems integration
- Experience in managing design activities of multi-disciplinary engineering teams
- Self-motivated and comfortable when work is self-initiated
- Knowledge of regulatory certification specifications i.e. CS/FAR-23, 25, 27 or 29, ARP4754, ARP4761, DO-178/254
- You will also have significant experience in:
- Requirement Management
- Management of technical risk
- Scheduling and resource planning
Founded in 2016, Vertical uniquely combines the best of the aerospace, Formula 1 and automotive industries and has become one of only seven companies globally to have successfully flown multiple full-scale eVTOL prototypes. The VA-X4, is a world-leading fully composite tilt-rotor winged eVTOL that will carry one pilot and four passengers or cargo. VA-X4 is in plan to be certified in late 2024, placing the business in the top two companies globally with a commercially viable aircraft capable of spanning intra and intercity passenger and cargo eVTOL markets.