Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We are seeking an Advance Battery Modelling Engineer that thrives on working on new and novel engineering concepts. You will join a team of highly motivated people that are passionate about creating robust designs using the latest technology to find optimised results for our new generation of battery packs to support our aircraft program.
We are a company that values inclusion and diversity and offer benefits such as flexible working, parental and maternity leave.
The Advance Battery Modelling Engineer will be responsible for the design and development of Battery model from cell to pack level including equivalent circuit models focus on the development of models and algorithms for optimal battery charging, predicting remaining runtime and battery failures
Job responsibilities include but not limited to:
- Develop battery performance models from cell to pack level including equivalent circuit models or electrochemical models
- Establish and optimize the parameterization process for the models; developing methods to correlate model parameters with various ageing conditions of the cells.
- Developing techniques to improve accuracy of the models at extreme usage scenario as well as different ageing states.
- Develop algorithm to the optimal Charge, to predict battery failures and to estimate the remaining runtime.
- Collaborate with cells engineers to analyse test data.
- Guide experiments to develop optimal test procedures to improve model calibration process and the model accuracy.
- Develop battery diagnosis algorithm for battery state control.
- Help with the decision for cell’s selection and pack design based on the modelling.
- Work with Universities and Research partners to deliver a project.
- Hands-on Testing and de-bugging when required.
- Integration and validation into the aircraft, supporting colleagues as needed.
- Identification and tracking the specific assignments, deliverables, and provide an assessment on the progress and outcome of the work on a day-to-day basis
Qualifications and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Applied Physics, Mechanical, Electrical, Electronics, Aerospace, Systems, or Computer Engineering or related engineering field (Chemistry degree with relevant engineering experience considered).
- Research or working experience in the battery simulation field
- Strong Mathematical background.
- Strong knowledge of MATLAB/Simulink.
- Strong optimization skills, data analysis skills and numerical skills.
- Awareness of various methods to develop cell performance models
- Experience of designing cell test procedures and interpretation of cell testing result;
- Familiarity of battery behaviour changes over temperature and age of the battery
- Experience with Cell and Battery pack models.
- Experience with Kalman Filters.
- Experience in development of SOC, SOH algorithms.
- Experience with C++/C and Python is desired.
- Knowledge of battery electrochemistry and the electrical and thermal behaviour.
- Fluent English language skills are essential.
- Problem solving skills and can-do attitude.
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Flexible benefits scheme
- Free breakfast
- Annual bonus
- Birthday day off
- Flexible working hours