Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon free.
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in a passionate and driven Test Engineer to determine and drive an effective test programme.
The successful candidate will establish the company’s test activities, (rig, ground and flight), plan, resource and see it through to delivery. The ideal candidate will have strong theoretical and practical experience, with an aptitude of pragmatic problem solving. The working environment will be rewarding, dynamic and always challenging.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Gathering test requirements from the engineering teams, these may be developmental, research or certification tests, therefore an adaptable approach must be taken
- Identifying the best testing methods and practises the company should utilise, which may include developing relationships with external companies
- Creating and rolling out robust processes with the test team and company, in our transition to an approved design organisation
- Being involved with the company’s Verification and Validation processes at sub-system level and above
- Assisting with other tasks within the Test Team as required (planning, test definitions, vehicle operations, operating tests)
- Responsibility for the budget and programme delivery for various test activities
- Working closely with our certification team to ensure tests are carried out in such a way to provide airworthiness data
- Mentoring and sharing knowledge with others in the company
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- 5+ years demonstrable experience as a test engineer within a high-tech industry, some exposure to aerospace is required
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using MATLAB, Python, or similar
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team and, when required, to travel and work extended hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Fluent in spoken and written English language
- Flight test experience, ideally within a fast paced and novel programme
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Understanding of aircraft and rotorcraft flight physics and typical test procedures
- Experience working with external regulators/airworthiness bodies such as the CAA, EASA and FAA. Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE) experience favourable
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development