Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for a Propulsion & Performance Engineer to help design our vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft.
You will work on analysis, simulation and testing of our aircraft. By combining your knowledge of the fundamental principles of aircraft stability and performance with cutting edge modelling technologies, you will help us to understand the flying characteristics and operational potential of our novel aircraft.
The ideal candidate will have both theoretical knowledge and practical experience of aircraft flight characteristics, together with a talent for recognising key factors influencing aircraft flight behaviour.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Design and analysis of propulsion systems such as rotors and propellers
- Analysis of propulsion and flight characteristics using appropriate methods from hand calculations though to detailed pilot-in-the-loop simulations
- Development, verification and validation of simulation models
- Building methods and tools for analysing flight characteristics of unconventional aircraft
- Specification of testing to determine flying characteristics and validate models
- Supporting the planning and execution of tests
- Interpreting test and simulation outputs to understand the implications on aircraft performance and handling qualities
- Showing compliance of designs to relevant aerospace standards
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience working in a relevant industrial environment
- A sound knowledge of typical flight characteristics of fixed and/or rotary wing air vehicles
- Good knowledge of aerodynamics, aircraft propulsion systems and flight loads
- Ability to apply your knowledge to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics
- Awareness of processes and requirements relevant to the certification of aircraft
- Capable of deriving clear conclusions from large and complex datasets
- Experienced user of Matlab/Simulink
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a dynamic environment where flexibility is essential
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively as part of a team
- Able to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Previous involvement in propulsion and flight test programmes
- Experience creating simulation models of complex systems
- Experienced used of CAD and/or CFD tools
- Commitment to professional development