Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for a Power Electronics Development Engineer to support our vehicle and powertrain development projects, with a focus on developing motor drive inverters.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in inverter design and motor control, supported by strong analytical skills and practical ability. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in industrial drives, power electronics development or vehicle electrification would be beneficial.
You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges across multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and to work at all levels between circuit design and system integration.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Development of inverter functional and performance requirements and interface specifications
- Analysis and modelling of inverter topologies, comparison of power device technologies, size and mass estimation, loss calculation, thermal modelling
- Supporting and assisting external partners in the development and testing of inverter hardware
- Analysis and interpretation of test and simulation data
- Working closely with other internal engineering disciplines and external partners to help deliver highly integrated design solutions
- Creating technical documentation for internal and external audiences
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Minimum of 3 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- Knowledge of power semiconductor device technologies and their application ranges
- Knowledge of inverter circuit topologies applicable to motor drive applications
- Understanding of field-oriented control of AC machines
- Thorough understanding of engineering first principles and ability to perform basic hand calculations to check designs
- Understanding of the product development cycle
- Experience of inverter power circuit design – topology and device technology selection, device area calculation, loss modelling, thermal design, ripple current calculation
- Knowledge of inverter supporting circuitry such as gate drives, current/voltage sensors, position sensor interfaces, etc.
- Use of MATLAB/Simulink for data analysis, modelling and simulation
- Safe working with hazardous voltages, particularly DC systems above 120V
- Competent in the use of electrical/electronic test and measurement equipment
- Commissioning and testing of power electronics and electrical drives at multi-kilowatt power levels
- Experience of developing components, equipment or systems to aerospace (or similar) standards
- Electronic circuit design, schematic entry and PCB layout experience