Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon free.
Vertical Aerospace is growing its existing test team in preparation for an exciting novel aircraft development programme. Part of this expansion is to bring in a passionate and driven Instrumentation Engineer to take ownership of all things instrumentation on our development rigs/aircraft and then our prototype certification aircraft.
The successful candidate will be the key focal point in the company for defining and recording crucial data to support our technology development and certification activities. The ideal candidate will have strong theoretical and practical experience, with an aptitude of pragmatic problem solving. The working environment will be rewarding, dynamic and always challenging.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Defining the instrumentation requirements on various rigs and novel airframes, working closely with all engineering departments and projects
- Selecting and working with external companies to deliver a complete FTI solution including telemetry links and ground station requirements
- Being responsibile for the budget and programme delivery for instrumentation
- Ensuring instrumentation calibration methods and records are developed and maintained
- Assisting with other tasks within the Test Team as required (planning, test definitions, vehicle operations, operating tests)
- Mentoring and sharing knowledge with others in the company
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Engineering, Physics or equivalent
- Have confidence selecting various types of instrumentation for rig and flight test (strain gauges, accelerometers, thermocouples, etc.)
- 5+ years demonstrable experience as an Instrumentation Engineer within a high-tech industry
- Excellent computer skills – proficiency with day-to-day applications used for email, word processing, etc, as well as data analysis experience using MATLAB, Python, or similar
- Must be able to work both independently and in a team and, when required, to travel and work extended hours
- Excellent interpersonal skills to effectively communicate with colleagues across a wide range of technical disciplines
- Fluent in spoken and written English language
- Flight test experience, ideally within a fast paced and novel programme
- Have experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Skills in data processing complex and large datasets, automating where possible
- Experience working with external regulators/airworthiness bodies such as the CAA, EASA, FAA. Compliance Verification Engineer (CVE) experience favorable
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development