Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for a Flight Control Laws Engineer to focus on the development, integration and certification of flight control laws for our vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft.
You will work with our suppliers and in-house engineers to ensure an optimised integrated system, bringing best practice and innovation to play in this fast-paced design and build environment.
The ideal candidate will have a balance of skills and knowledge spanning aircraft flight characteristics to complex controller design, together with real-world experience of delivering flight control laws into successful aircraft programmes.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Specification, design, development and validation of bespoke flight control laws for novel aircraft configurations
- Specification of testing to determine aerodynamic characteristics and validate models
- Showing compliance of designs to relevant aerospace standards
- Engaging effectively across related disciplines to ensure quality and robust design solutions that are understood by people with varied technical backgrounds
- Guiding and mentoring other team members
- Managing relationships and work closely with partners and suppliers of hardware, software and technical services
- Supporting the Test Team as required to explore and validate technical solutions
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical, Mechanical, Systems Engineering or equivalent
- Demonstrable experience working on aircraft flight control law development, validating control system performance and optimising controllers in real-world applications
- Good knowledge of aircraft control, stability and handling qualities; understanding the interplay between these disciplines and the integration of closed-loop controllers
- Good supporting knowledge of aerodynamics, flight characteristics and sensor technology
- Able to apply your experience to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics
- Familiar with aircraft certification processes and requirements
- Understanding of the role of simulation in fast-paced engineering programmes
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a fast-paced environment where flexibility is essential
- Communicating complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Wide-ranging demonstrable experience working on flight control law development for multiple aircraft programmes
- Have held roles of responsibility for aircraft certification e.g. CVE within an aerospace DOA
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Have been directly involved in flight test programmes
- Good supporting knowledge of software development and software integration
- Significant experience with Matlab/Simulink
- Able to demonstrate a commitment to professional development