Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for an Electrical Machine Design Engineer to support our vehicle and powertrain development projects.
The ideal candidate will have expertise in the electromagnetic design and thermal analysis of electrical machines. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in vehicle electrification would be beneficial.
You will need be prepared to take on a wide range of challenges across multiple projects in a fast-paced environment, and to work at all levels between detailed design and system-level performance analysis.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Sizing studies and first-pass design activities
- Benchmarking existing machine designs and developing simulation models
- Modelling and comparative analysis of competing machine technologies and topologies
- Drive cycle modelling and system-level performance analysis
- Supporting and assisting external partners in the development and testing of new machines
- Working closely with other internal engineering disciplines and external partners to help deliver highly integrated design solutions
- Creating technical documentation for internal and external audiences
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of AC machine types and topologies, particularly PMSMs
- Expertise in electromagnetic design and analysis of electrical machines
- Familiarity with at least one 2D electromagnetic FEA package
- Competence in thermal analysis and modelling of electrical machines
- Understanding of field-oriented control of AC machines and interactions between inverters and machines in drive systems
- Thorough understanding of engineering first principles and ability to perform basic hand calculations to check designs
- Understanding of the product development cycle
- Use of MATLAB/Simulink for data analysis, modelling and simulation
- Experience of 3D electromagnetic FEA e.g. for design/analysis of axial or transverse flux machines
- Experience of using MotorCAD or similar for drive cycle analysis
- Experience of electrical machine testing and validation
- Ability to perform mechanical design and analysis including 2D/3D CAD
- Experience of developing components, equipment or systems to aerospace (or similar) standards