Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We're looking for an outstanding Design Engineer who combines superb technical knowledge and experience with a demonstrated ability to get the right things done quickly and effectively. This role is to develop from the ground up the Aircraft Structure for this new aircraft. The role is full time and will require the successful candidate to be very flexible in terms of work content and to be well-motivated.
The successful candidate must have a fundamental knowledge of light weight structures and be able to effectively analyse the complex system from a design perspective. Previous aerospace experience is not essential, but a background in similar high-tech fields would be beneficial.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Conceptual and detail design of composite and metallic structures for novel aircraft configurations
- Definition of component and system requirements
- Working closely with other internal engineering disciplines and external partners to help deliver highly integrated design solutions
- Assisting in the management of suppliers and manufacturers, delivering components or systems to the project
- TConducting composites-related R&D projects and support test activity
- Creating technical documentation for internal and external audiences
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace, Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- Strong fundamental knowledge of lightweight structures and composites
- Good knowledge of current and developing aircraft structural technology
- Experience and proficiency of at least one modern CAD package and PLM system
- Working knowledge of GD&T and drawing creation
- Experience in the design and manufacture of composite structures
- Experience of certifying to aerospace standards
- Good understanding of surface modelling techniques
- Good communication skills and a proactive approach to problem solving
- Experience in communicating with management, as well as technical and business teams to collect requirements, describe product features and technical designs
- Experience of developing components, equipment or systems to aerospace (or similar) standards