Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We’re looking for an Aerodynamics Engineer to help design our vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft.
You will work on aerodynamic surface and rotor design, analysis, integration and testing. By combining your knowledge of fundamental aerodynamic principles with cutting edge modelling technologies, you will help us rapidly innovate and iterate in our fast-paced design and build environment.
The ideal candidate will be skilled in CAD modelling and CFD simulation of aircraft, and be able to critically analyse and interpret aerodynamic data.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Design and CAD modelling of aerodynamic surfaces
- Performing aerodynamic calculations from simple hand calculations to detailed CFD analysis
- Interpretation of aerodynamic data to quantify impacts on aircraft performance and flying characteristics
- Specification of testing to determine aerodynamic characteristics and validate models
- Development, verification and validation of CFD methods
- Supporting the design and analysis of propulsion systems such as rotors and propellers
- Showing compliance of designs to relevant aerospace standards
- Supporting the Test team as required to explore and validate technical solutions
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Aeronautical/Mechanical Engineering or equivalent
- At least 2 years of experience working in a relevant industrial environment
- A sound knowledge of air vehicle aerodynamics
- Understanding of typical flight characteristics of fixed and rotary wing air vehicles
- Ability to apply your knowledge to small vehicles of novel design and operational characteristics
- Experienced user of CAD and CFD tools
- Awareness of processes and requirements relevant to the certification of aircraft
- Understanding of the role of simulation in fast-paced engineering programmes
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a dynamic environment where flexibility is essential
- Ability to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English language
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors
- Proficient user of Solidworks and ANSYS CFD
- Previous involvement in flight test programmes
- Hands-on experience with aerodynamic testing
- Knowledge and experience of aeroacoustics
- Experience using Matlab or equivalent to derive clear conclusions from large and complex datasets
- Commitment to professional development