Vertical Aerospace is building technology to revolutionise how people fly. Our mission is to make air travel personal, on-demand and carbon-free.
We're looking for an experienced Aeroacoustics Specialist who will help ensure our Urban Air Mobility (UAM) aircraft have a class-leading acoustic footprint and can overcome the challenges of public acceptance to enable regular urban operations.
You will apply your expert knowledge of noise generation and propagation to steer aircraft concept development and lead innovative technology research in this exciting field.
The ideal candidate will have an exceptional background in solving aeroacoustic challenges in industries for which noise management is business critical, preferably including the aerospace industry.
Your duties will be wide ranging and varied and will include:
- Being the technical authority for acoustics within Vertical Aerospace; identifying risks/opportunities, advising aircraft designers and influencing external stakeholders
- Developing methods to analyse noise generation, propagation and suppression for novel aircraft configurations
- Defining and supporting testing to explore novel designs and validate performance
- Engaging effectively across related disciplines to ensure quality and robust design solutions that are understood by people with varied technical backgrounds
- Conceiving and leading research to identify and mature innovative technologies
- Demonstrating compliance of novel designs to emerging aerospace specifications
- Fostering and supporting relationships with external stakeholders including partners, suppliers, regulators, operators and customers
- Taking technical ownership of programmes of work
- Guiding and mentoring junior team members
Basic Qualifications / Experience
- Educated to degree level or higher in Engineering, Mathematics, Physics or equivalent
- Superb knowledge of the fundamentals of noise generation, propagation and suppression
- A good supporting knowledge of multi-physics problems
- Significant relevant demonstrable experience of solving engineering problems involving the understanding and management of aerodynamic noise
- Experience developing products where complex mulitdisiplinary trade-offs must be found to meet requirements in a constrained design space
- Experience working in regulated industries
- Passionate about technology and thrive in a fast-paced environment where flexibility is essential
- Able to communicate complex ideas so that they are understood by different audiences
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Have worked extensively within the aerospace industry
- Have successfully led projects to increase Technology Readiness Level (TRL) of novel technology that have involved a range of stakeholders
- Good supporting knowledge of related disciplines such as aerodynamics and vibration
- Experience working with multiple types of air vehicle, including rotorcraft/multirotors